From nature to bedside - How to discover novel bioactive compounds in algae and develop functional food and pharmaceuticals
14th – 27th July 2024
CCMAR, University of Algarve, Faro, Portugal
PhD students and early post-docs
About the course
The summer school will address the necessity to look into sustainable and unexplored natural sources to find novel bio-active molecules for functional food and disease treatment. Using the example of algae and IBD the course will explore the diverse aspects of compound discovery and product development:
- The potential of macroalgae, microalgae and cyanobacteria and how to best cultivate them
- Increasing compound extraction to an industrial scale
- Compound identification and characterisation
- Bioactivity and clinical testing
- Algae-based culinary experience
- Paving the way to a career in the algae industry
Participants will also get a behind the scenes peak into a microalgae production company, animal testing facilities and the chance to network in the sunny South of Portugal.
Details about the agenda, application and costs will be announced early next year.
Follow us to stay informed